Australian Railroad Crossing Signals

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Jack2003

Re: Australian Railroad Crossing Signals

Post by Jack2003 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:17 am

The only one on that list that makes sense to remove is Keon Parade, the others seem like a waste. Should all these go ahead, the Cranbourne, Pakenham, and Lilydale lines will be level crossing free. :Curse1:
All other crossings that are on that list to be removed make sense as they are very busy, but with some like Station Street, Beaconsfield which is in a school zone, it would cause major congestion during school hours so it makes sense to remove it, but the ones that are getting closed off is just stupid.
Damn, that's sad. Keon Parade was added to the removal list a few months ago, so I don't get why they bothered replacing the bells at the crossing.
The reason why the bells were replaced is because the bell on the north western side of the crossing was acting up where it would sound throughout an entire activation with some activations but with others it wouldn't sound at all. It would've made more sense if they replaced the north western hybrid bell and left the on the south eastern side alone as it was working perfectly fine (like what happened at Racecourse Road, Pakenham). But no. Metro chose to replace both the working bells and the non working hybrid bell on the eastern side in the median strip with General Signals Type 3 electronic bells. :TDOWN: They even replaced the non working General Signals electronic bell on the western side in the median strip with another non working General Signals electronic bell at the same time they replaced the hybrid bells. :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:
Kororoit Creek Rd, Altona and Werribee St, Werribee though....now those are some truly pointless removals! :TDOWN:
Kororoit Creek Road on the Altona Loop was a pointless removal due to the boom gates only been down for almost one minute each time a train passed through the crossing. It never caused congestion ever according to Stuart Hunt's video of the crossing.

Werribee Street, Werribee however was a very busy crossing with traffic and even though it only saw up to 5-10 trains a day after 2014 it would still cause traffic congestion. The crossing was also in the middle of two traffic light intersections as well which would've made congestion much worse when a train would pass through the crossing. So Werribee Street actually did make sense to remove.

There were other crossings which I thought were pointless removals as well like Camms Road, Cranbourne, but if they're duplicating the Cranbourne line then it does make sense to remove it, cause if they chose not to remove the crossing when they were duplicating the Cranbourne line, then I could imagine the crossing would've gotten more busier with traffic then it already is.
Last edited by freebrickproductions on Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: combining posts
Here's a list of remaining mechanical bells on Victoria's railways: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5126&p=41865&hilit=metro#p41865
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:43 pm

Jack2003 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:17 am
They even replaced the non working General Signals electronic bell on the western side in the median strip with another non working General Signals electronic bell at the same time they replaced the hybrid bells. :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:
Sounds like there's a wiring issue inside the signal that they need to fix.
Jack2003 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:17 am
There were other crossings which I thought were pointless removals as well like Camms Road, Cranbourne, but if they're duplicating the Cranbourne line then it does make sense to remove it, cause if they chose not to remove the crossing when they were duplicating the Cranbourne line, then I could imagine the crossing would've gotten more busier with traffic then it already is.
I know it's what happened with all of the crossings on the LIRR mainline over here in the US. The line is getting a third track to ease congestion, and, as such, all of the grade crossings that remained on it were (sadly) removed.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
Jack2003

Post by Jack2003 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:38 am

Since my last post of crossing updates in May. I have quite a lot of things to share with you all.

Firstly some very sad news and that is the last ever Safetran Type 1 electronic bell in Australia at Altmann's Road, Mount Barker, South Australia has been replaced with a Safetran Type 3. :Cry1: Here are a couple of pics of the crossing taken by McK&H Aust from the cab of a train showing the new bell:

In other news it has been rumoured by AH137 that the incandescent lights at the Armstong's Road level crossing in Seaford have been replaced with LED type lights. However I am yet to see any pictures of the crossing to know if it is actually true.

Unfortunately the McKenzie And Holland lights and crossarms at Marshall Street, Ivanhoe have been replaced with newer style Westinghouse LED lights and crossarms at the start of last month. :Cry1: The crossing has also had new crossbucks and two track signs installed as well. The Western Railroad Supply gate mechs still survive for now though. Here's Tazzie Transport's yet to be released video of the crossing showing the current state:
https://youtu.be/giRYsz6x5KY

While on topic of the Hurstbridge line the Yarralea Street level crossing in Alphington has recieved new crossbucks and new two track signs. Thankfully the crossing keeps it's incandescent lights and old boom gate mechanisms for now. Here's Tazzie Transport's video of the crossing showing the new signage:
https://youtu.be/QFY7g6_to4c

And moving towards Hurstbridge now where a passive crossing on a private road off Main Hurstbridge Road has been upgraded to flashing lights. It is the first flashing light setup to be installed on the Melbourne Suburban Rail Network since the 1980's and is currently the only flashing light setup on the Melbourne Suburban Rail Network as well. Here's what the crossing looked like before it was upgraded:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.649634 ... 384!8i8192

Here's what the new flashing light install looks like in operation, credit to SBMetro for the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQpB_3hWVbg

There have also been other crossing upgrades since May one of those been Bendigo-Maldon Road, Maldon which was upgraded from passive protection to flashing lights in July. The install was originally meant to recieve boom gates, but for some reason the boom gates, boom gate mechanisms, counterweight arms and counterweights weren't installed in the end. It may eventually recieve boom gates in the future. The crossing however has equipment that is out of place on a heritage railway. This includes Safetran Type 3 electronic bells and red background crossbucks. :Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :TDOWN: :Curse1: V/Line were responsible for the installation as they were for the crossing upgrades on Puffing Billy, so why couldn't they do a Puffing Billy type of upgrade? But I shouldn't complain about the equipment as the setup is unique and at least V/Line gave it white painted picket fencing to give it a heritage feel, but I wish it received normal crossbucks and a Western Cullen Hayes mechanical bell like what the gated setups on Puffing Billy pre 2017 have. Here's a photo compilation video of TheRailRanger VTMG's showing the new setup:
https://youtu.be/66ezAO22nV4

The School Road level crossing in Menzies Creek (Gembrook end) was upgraded with boom gates in August and is a quad gate setup. Here is a drone view picture of the crossing taken by Andrew Wheatland on the day the crossing was commissioned:

The Murray Valley Highway level crossing in Echuca was upgraded with boom gates in June and is a quad gate setup. Here's a picture of what the new setup looks like taken by Joey Blow:

Unfortunately two level crossings between North Geelong and Werribee that had Westinghouse gate mechs have recently been upgraded with new gated signals. :Cry1: Those crossings being Saint George's Road, Norlane and Canterbury Road East, Lara. As for the other crossings on that section with Westinghouse gate mechs it seems that they're on burrowed time too. Here is what the new gated setup looks like at Saint George's Road, credit to Tazzie Transport for the video:
https://youtu.be/H4EpAmeOV-M

Here's what the new gated setup looks like at Canterbury Road East looks like. Credit to McK&H Aust for the train cab pic:

Moving to Inverleigh now where the Westinghouse hybrid bell at Inverleigh-Winchelsea Road has sadly been replaced with a Safetran Type 3. :Cry1: This now leaves Barwon Park Road as the last crossing in Inverleigh to have a Westinghouse hybrid bell. Think at the start of this year that there were four crossings with Westinghouse hybrid bells in Inverleigh and now there's only one crossing left in Inverleigh to have a Westinghouse hybrid bell. Here's a train cab view picture taken by McK&H Aust of the crossing showing the new bell:

Heading to Waurn Ponds now where the Ghazeepore Road level crossing has recieved a second track as part of the Geelong line upgrade. This also meant that the signals on the southern side of the crossing were replaced with new ones and the signal on the northern side stayed the same but had a pole adapter piece added to make room for a red background crossbuck. The original signals on the southern side only dated back to the early 2010's so why couldn't they just move the signals forward to their new foundations? Here is a pic of what the new setup looks like, credit to the Regional Rail Revival for the pic:

Heading to Mornington now where the Bungower Road level crossing has recieved keep tracks clear signs and yellow hazard markings. The keep tracks clear signs are mounted on poles that are at the regular height of road signs. The rest of the crossing is unchanged though. Here are a couple of pics taken by AH137 of what the crossing now looks like:

At the Frankston-Flinders Road level crossing in Baxter a new gateless signal has been installed in place of the previous one. It would've been involved in a vehicle strike as the safety barriers and large crossing sign were taken out as well. The new signal looks to have brand new signage and older style Westinghouse LED lights that might have been reused from the old signal. Here are some pics of the new signal and the wreckage taken by AH137:

The Moorooduc Highway level crossing in Frankston has had it's older style Westinghouse LED lights on the upper part of the southern cantilever replaced with newer style ones. The rest of the crossing is unchanged though. Here are a couple of pics of the new lights taken by AH137:

Heading to Bridgewater On Loddon now where the Safetran Type 3 has been stolen leaving the crossing bell-less. One of the lights on the signal that had the bell has had it's visor partially unattached as well. My theory is that someone would climbed up the signal and stood on the visors to get the bell which is how the visor became unattached. Here is what the crossing now looks like, credit to Ethan The Victorian Railfan for the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVZPQPCizwg&t=2s

The passive display signage at Progress Street, Dandenong South has had it's hazard triangle and three tracks sign stolen, but retains it's crossbuck. The crossing itself is unchanged. Here's what the display passive crossing signage looks like with just a crossbuck, credit to AH137 for the pics:

Lastly the Lydiard Street level crossing in Ballarat which was famous for being the last ever crossing in Australia to have operational interlocking gates until May 30th 2020 where an out of control V/Line VLocity smashed through the southern interlocking gates sending debris flying, is now in the process of receiving boom gates. Major work started in August and at this stage the concrete foundations for the new signals have been installed as well as some cream painted metal fencing that goes around the gated signal foundations. There have also been two large cube shaped poles installed on the north eastern and south western sides of the crossing which will probably have keep tracks clear signs. Here's a timeline of the works that I've taken pictures of:

September 21st 2021. The concrete foundations had been installed for the new signals, as well as a new power cabinent on the foundation of the orignal control box which house the gears and chains for the interlocking gates. The current relay boxes for the crossing will be reused for the new gated setup.

October 16th 2021. White painted metal fencing was installed around the gated signal foundations.

October 30th 2021. The white painted metal fencing was repainted cream for some reason and a large cube shaped pole on the north eastern and south western sides were installed to possibly mount keep tracks clear signs on.

And that's all from me
Here's a list of remaining mechanical bells on Victoria's railways: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5126&p=41865&hilit=metro#p41865
chris96

Post by chris96 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:14 am

Jack2003 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:38 am
Since my last post of crossing updates in May. I have quite a lot of things to share with you all.
Those are some great updates Jack, thanks for sharing! :TUP2:

I didn't think I'd ever see a quad gate setup on Puffing Billy, but here we are! Good to see they're still installing mechanical bells on their upgraded signals!

That's very sad news about the Safetan Type 1 disappearing :Cry1: Though I can't say I'm surprised, as it was definitely sounding quite sick.
Jack2003 wrote:
Moving to Inverleigh now where the Westinghouse hybrid bell at Inverleigh-Winchelsea Road has sadly been replaced with a Safetran Type 3. :Cry1: This now leaves Barwon Park Road as the last crossing in Inverleigh to have a Westinghouse hybrid bell. Think at the start of this year that there were four crossings with Westinghouse hybrid bells in Inverleigh and now there's only one crossing left in Inverleigh to have a Westinghouse hybrid bell.

Funnily enough, I was just at Inverleigh and was shocked to see that the Hybrid was gone! Here are some close up shots I took of the crossing:
ImageIMG_5941 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5936 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5940 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5939 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5942 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Such a shame to lose yet another Hybrid from Inverleigh, but I was very happy to see that the Barwon Park Road bell was still intact! The question is...for how long?
ImageIMG_5960 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5950 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5961 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5955 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5956 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5957 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

In some other positive news, the Hybrid at Geelong-Ballan Rd is still there! :TUP1:
ImageIMG_5983 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5968 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5969 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5971 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5972 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5973 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

I also noticed that the original Safetran Type 3 on the other signal has been replaced recently with a new, shorter base model:
ImageIMG_5975 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5976 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Here's the signal in 2015 with the old bell:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-38.075527 ... 312!8i6656

Apparently, these track-side markers are used near level crossings that use predictors to activate the signals. They indicate the start of the circuit for an upcoming crossing and inform the crew not to change speed after passing the sign (in order for the predictor to get an accurate speed measurement and provide an adequate warning time)
ImageIMG_5970 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

I also have a few other updates from the Geelong region.

I managed to get some close up shots of the new equipment at St Georges Rd, Norlane:
ImageIMG_5926 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5928 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5929 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5930 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

An action shot:
ImageIMG_5931 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Interestingly enough, V/Line didn't install new relay boxes and instead, just reused the existing infrastructure (that's a first! :LOL4:)
ImageIMG_5927 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

It's the same story at Canterbury Rd, Lara. Speaking of which:
ImageIMG_5991 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5992 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5993 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Another thing is that they removed the classic "Do Not Cross" pedestrian signs during the upgrade :TDOWN: :
https://www.google.com/maps/@-38.034809 ... 312!8i6656

As you mentioned, the old Westinghouse mechs still remain on the other crossings, but I agree that they likely won't be around for much longer unfortunately:
ImageIMG_5994 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5990 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5989 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

In other news, I discovered that The Mill Antique Market currently has a pair of Westinghouse LED lights, Aldridge pedestrian lights and "Another Train Coming" LED signs for sale!:
ImageIMG_5932 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5935 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5933 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
As you can see, they are all operational which is neat!

Finally, I can confirm that the Wishbone gates at Cherry Swamp Rd, Little River are still in service! :TUP1:
ImageIMG_5826 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5824 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5825 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

That's all from me for now!
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Jack2003 wrote:
Firstly some very sad news and that is the last ever Safetran Type 1 electronic bell in Australia at Altmann's Road, Mount Barker, South Australia has been replaced with a Safetran Type 3. :Cry1: Here are a couple of pics of the crossing taken by McK&H Aust from the cab of a train showing the new bell:
chris96 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:14 am
That's very sad news about the Safetan Type 1 disappearing :Cry1: Though I can't say I'm surprised, as it was definitely sounding quite sick.
Guessing that it must've finally died. A shame, but I suppose it was gonna happen eventually.
Jack2003 wrote:
And moving towards Hurstbridge now where a passive crossing on a private road off Main Hurstbridge Road has been upgraded to flashing lights. It is the first flashing light setup to be installed on the Melbourne Suburban Rail Network since the 1980's and is currently the only flashing light setup on the Melbourne Suburban Rail Network as well. Here's what the crossing looked like before it was upgraded:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.649634 ... 384!8i8192

Here's what the new flashing light install looks like in operation, credit to SBMetro for the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQpB_3hWVbg
Nice! Always cool to see modern gateless signals go in, IMHO.
Jack2003 wrote:
The Murray Valley Highway level crossing in Echuca was upgraded with boom gates in June and is a quad gate setup. Here's a picture of what the new setup looks like taken by Joey Blow:
Looks more like a median signal set-up to me. :LOL3:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
chris96

Post by chris96 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:28 am

So I was in the Ballarat area today and had the chance to check out a few things while I was there. First of all, I was really surprised to see that the entire Bungaree loop has been completely removed! I was aware that the line was decommissioned in December last year, but I thought the infrastructure (or at least some of it) would still be left intact. Boy was I wrong! Here's what the former line looks like today:

Old Melbourne Rd, Millbrook:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.588596 ... 312!8i6656

ImageIMG_6025 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6029 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6026 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6030 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6031 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6033 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

I believe this is some of the original underground wiring for the crossing signals:
ImageIMG_6034 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6035 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Westcotts Rd, Wallace (this crossing was upgraded with gates in 2016):
https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.559139 ... 312!8i6656

ImageIMG_6073 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6075 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

A remnant:
ImageIMG_6076 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

The advance warning markings on the road are still intact:
ImageIMG_6077 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Bungaree - Wallace Rd, Wallace (gates were in the processes of being installed when street view came through in 2009):
https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.555443 ... 312!8i6656

ImageIMG_6062 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6064 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6065 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Interestingly, the advance warning lights are still intact!
ImageIMG_6061 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6072 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6071 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

It seems like the entire advance warning system is still in an operational state, as there was still power in the control box (a loud buzzing could be heard):
ImageIMG_6066 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6069 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6068 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
The reason why this system is still in place is due to the fact that the advance warning signals were/are property of VicRoads and not V/Line like the rest of the crossing signals. So it's up to them to remove them. It'll be interesting to see how much longer they remain in place.

Bungaree - Wallace Rd, Bungaree (crossing was upgraded with gates in 2015):
https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.557416 ... 312!8i6656
ImageIMG_6036 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6040 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6039 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6038 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6037 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6044 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6047 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Next to the former crossing is this plaque about the history of the railway in Bungaree:
ImageIMG_6041 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

This image of the Overland Express derailment in 1971 shows the crossing with a Teardrop Bell, which actually remained at the crossing until the mid 2000's:
ImageIMG_6043 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Lesters Rd, Bungaree (upgraded with gates in 2015):
https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.567720 ... 328!8i1664

ImageIMG_6051 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6048 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6049 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6050 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

I have to say, it's really strange to see so many modern crossings (many with signals only dating back to around 2015) completely gone! Heck, I rode a train on this line back in early 2020 and now there's no line left at all! It's feels quite bizarre.

Torpys Rd, Dunnstown (where the Bungaree loop and Ballarat main line meet) has been downgraded to a single track crossing. Other than that though, no other changes have taken place:
ImageIMG_6057 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6054 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6056 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6055 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6058 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6053 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

In other news, the installation of Lydiard St, Ballarat's new boom gates has begun:
ImageIMG_6078 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6088 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6087 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6084 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6083 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6085 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6086 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6089 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6082 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6081 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

The signals on the other side of the crossing have not yet been installed, but as Jack2003 recently pointed out, the bases and electrical wires are in place ready for the equipment to arrive:
ImageIMG_6079 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6080 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Finally, I noticed that Llandeilo Ln's crossbucks have moved (possibly due to strong winds), with one actually hitting the gate itself:
ImageIMG_6094 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6095 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6096 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6099 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6098 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Anyway, that's it from me for now!
Jack2003

Post by Jack2003 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:53 am

Great pictures Chris, it’s sad to see the Bungaree Loop pretty much gone as it would’ve been interesting to walk it from start to finish.

I’ve been regularly checking Lydiard Street out and the new boom gated setup will be operational on Tuesday and I’m hoping to film the crossing in action that day.
chris96

Post by chris96 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:47 am

Jack2003 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:53 am
Great pictures Chris, it’s sad to see the Bungaree Loop pretty much gone as it would’ve been interesting to walk it from start to finish.

I’ve been regularly checking Lydiard Street out and the new boom gated setup will be operational on Tuesday and I’m hoping to film the crossing in action that day.
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the video!
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 am

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Chris and Jack. They are a prefect example of why I’m not as big as fan of trains and crossing signals as I used to be. Most of the interesting stuff has either been butchered, replaced, or completely removed by Metro, V/Line, VicRoads, and especially the Victorian Government. I can’t see it getting any better, unfortunately. Most of the mechanical bells and vintage equipment have been replaced over the past few years and the suburban network has little over half the crossings it used to have ten years ago.

Honestly, I don’t even want to take the train to the city anymore, the Pakenham line has pretty much been ruined by Andrews and his stupid government, and it’s going to be completely wrecked in a few years time as there won’t be any crossings on it. Heck, I refuse to even drive down Cardinia Road now, because I hate seeing that stupid overpass that replaced the crossing. Needless to say, I’ll also be avoiding the other roads with crossings on them once they’re removed.
Jack2003 wrote:Station Street, Beaconsfield which is in a school zone, it would cause major congestion during school hours so it makes sense to remove it
As someone who used to attend the school nearby, all I can say is that I never saw the crossing get jammed. If anything, the school carpark would cause more congestion than the crossing.

Also, If I hear a “Victoria’s Big Build” ad about crossing removals one more time, I will throw my radio out the window. :Curse1:
chris96

Post by chris96 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 am

TrickyMario7654 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 am
Thanks for sharing the pictures, Chris and Jack. They are a prefect example of why I’m not as big as fan of trains and crossing signals as I used to be. Most of the interesting stuff has either been butchered, replaced, or completely removed by Metro, V/Line, VicRoads, and especially the Victorian Government. I can’t see it getting any better, unfortunately. Most of the mechanical bells and vintage equipment have been replaced over the past few years and the suburban network has little over half the crossings it used to have ten years ago.
It is a real shame that a lot of vintage equipment has been removed in recent years. However, for me personally, that doesn't lower my interest in railway infrastructure in any way. In fact, I think it makes the unusual and/or vintage equipment that still remains that much more special. Plus it's far easier to obtain vintage crossing equipment for home use in a private collection these days too, so it's not all bad.

I was in Ballarat again yesterday and had a chance to get pictures of the new gated signals at Lydiard St. Pretty sad to see the original swing gates go, but at least the road has finally reopened. I also met Jack the Railway Enthusiast while I was there which was a nice surprise!
ImageIMG_6228 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6229 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6237 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6239 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6230 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6231 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6232 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6234 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6235 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6238 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6240 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6243 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Interestingly, the existing E-Bell is still in place, but no longer operates. According to Jack, the bell will be removed at a later date. The new E-Bells are loud-tone Safetran Type 3's:
ImageIMG_6233 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6241 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6242 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Some remnants of the swing gates still remain:
ImageIMG_6236 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6244 by Christian Nolan, on Flickr

Jack also mentioned that this crossing is currently still manually operated, but will be converted to automatic operation at some point in the future.