Wisconsin wigwags falling rapidly

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Re: Wisconsin wigwags falling rapidly

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:30 am

AndyWS wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:17 pm
Reports are that the Saemann Ave. wigwags were removed this morning, Sunday, December 6, 2020. There are no longer any wigwag crossing signals in service outside of museums in Wisconsin, or anywhere in the Midwest region for that matter. There might still be a few in California and/or Oregon, unless all those have also been removed over the last few years as well. :Sad:
Not aware of any in Oregon, but there's still the one in Illinois on the Crab Orchard & Egyptian.

Word has it the Joplin, MO, wigwag was also removed recently. Bit of a shame too because that was the last US&S wigwag left in service in the US. :aaargh:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:23 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:30 am
AndyWS wrote:
Reports are that the Saemann Ave. wigwags were removed this morning, Sunday, December 6, 2020. There are no longer any wigwag crossing signals in service outside of museums in Wisconsin, or anywhere in the Midwest region for that matter. There might still be a few in California and/or Oregon, unless all those have also been removed over the last few years as well. :Sad:
Not aware of any in Oregon, but there's still the one in Illinois on the Crab Orchard & Egyptian.

Word has it the Joplin, MO, wigwag was also removed recently. Bit of a shame too because that was the last US&S wigwag left in service in the US. :aaargh:
For some reason I thought the CO&E one was gone, maybe I'm wrong.
Nascar Fan007

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:53 pm

AndyWS wrote:

I've heard about the wig wag in Joplin being removed as well. It's a real shame as I was wanting to go see it in person at some point. Hopefully it got preserved, but I doubt the MNA wanted to preserve it.
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:26 am

AndyWS wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:23 pm
AndyWS wrote:

For some reason I thought the CO&E one was gone, maybe I'm wrong.
Want to say there're plans to replace it, but it's still at least a few years out.

AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Here's my video (two runbys, one northbound and one southbound) of the wigwags from a week ago Monday.

We also see Garton Rd. and Playbird Rd., which remarkably don't appear to have changed at all since the original photos for the site were taken back in 2006. There's also a scene taken looking south from this crossing and I can confirm that the Griswolds have been replaced with ordinary gateless signals with a WCH e-bell. This is also shown in Google Street View from last year.
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:26 am
Want to say there're plans to replace it, but it's still at least a few years out.
A couple videos from 2022 showing the CO&ER wag still going. Note the bell change at the crossing however. Though not mounted to the wag as the Galena signal was... it sounds so strange to not hear a mechanical bell going when the wag is swinging. Also, it appears that the light in the banner is also out on both of these. Of course, this could be something to do with the cameras being used, angle, lighting, or dirty lenses as well.

Well, :Censored:
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:54 pm

Good to see the CO&E wigwag is still there, even with the bell change.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:03 pm

SirKrunch wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:42 pm
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:26 am
A couple videos from 2022 showing the CO&ER wag still going. Note the bell change at the crossing however. Though not mounted to the wag as the Galena signal was... it sounds so strange to not hear a mechanical bell going when the wag is swinging. Also, it appears that the light in the banner is also out on both of these. Of course, this could be something to do with the cameras being used, angle, lighting, or dirty lenses as well.

Sadly, I can confirm that the wigwag has since gone out of service. Dunno if the line is entirely dead or what, but all of the lights on the wigwag and mast signal (including the wigwag's banner) are now bagged up.

Here are some photos from a Discord server I'm in:

Looks like at least this part of the CO&E went dead, so the wigwag is now out of service. Rumor has it that the wigwag is due to be removed and preserved in Lakeville, MN, though I don't know how true that is. Especially since the Facebook post that alleged that's where it's going to claimed that the wigwag was removed prior to these pictures being taken.