Safetran type 3 High Pitch in Illinois!

Talk about crossing signal lights, bells, and gates here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Re: Safetran type 3 High Pitch in Illinois!

Post by TrainmanKight » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

TommyBNSF wrote:Damn, how did I miss that? Well I don't normally go to Wilmington that often, but I never knew about that. I wonder what was there before? And the only Safetran Type's I knew of in IL were in Rochelle and Springfield.
I heard before this there were only crossbucks
Here is the letter my friend wrote me
"That crossing with the weird e-bell in Coal City is a brand new installation. The crossing previously had crossbucks only. They've been doing a lot of work in that general area as they are preparing to build a new intermodal yard near this crossing. One weird thing about the crossing is the west signal is in Coal City while the east signal with the sidelights is in Wilmington. Murphy Road is the dividing line for Will and Grundy county.
I have railfanned at Murphy Road before so I'll have to get back out there soon. BNSF is replacing a ton of crossings here. The gateless crossing in Coal City with the hybrid was replaced with gates and two GS e-bells. The m-bell in Kernan was replaced with the exact same type of signals at Murphy Road, only with GS e-bells. The only m-bells that are left that I know of are Carbon Hill Road in Coal City and Dwight Road in Mazon, both of which will probably be gone soon since BNSF is converting everything on the transcon to e-bells."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
TommyBNSF

Post by TommyBNSF » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:27 pm

cabman701 wrote:
illinoistrains wrote:there is one in Springfield, IL, this crossing is about at 15th street and north grand.
By the way... that signal above is a fairly new installation. Street View shows what it used to look like. You can see the base for the new signal that is shown above on Street View as well.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9999999993
That's cool NS replaced 12x24 with 12x20 :TUP1: :TUP1:
TommyBNSF

Post by TommyBNSF » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Well I went out there today and I can confirm that it is a Safetran type 3 e bell. I got pictures of it to post on rxrsignals.net(once Mike isn't hit hard anymore, I can't add to the amount of work for crossings he already has)
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Nice to know it's a Type 3, and not a GS.

If the next weekend looks windy, which it may be, I'll accept them next week.
TommyBNSF

Post by TommyBNSF » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Depends if I can get a new computer by then or not.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:00 pm

TommyBNSF wrote:
That's cool NS replaced 12x24 with 12x20 :TUP1: :TUP1:

Yes... NS has done that on quite a few crossings in town. There is one bad one though which I will get a picture of soon. It has one 12x24 and one 12x20. Looks gaudy! :Sad: