What bell is this?

Talk about crossing signal lights, bells, and gates here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Re: What bell is this?

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:26 am

MapsSurfer wrote:I was exploring some crossings on the FEC in Miami when I came across this bell. It's painted black which gives us an indication of it's age, but I'm more curios about it's shape. It looks like a Safetran Mechanical bell to me, but I'm not entirely sure. https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8415149 ... 312!8i6656 This bell still exist as far as I know. I haven't been up to Hialeah in a while, but last I was, it was still in place.
Yea, that's a Safetran.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
MapsSurfer

Post by MapsSurfer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:15 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
MapsSurfer wrote:I was exploring some crossings on the FEC in Miami when I came across this bell. It's painted black which gives us an indication of it's age, but I'm more curios about it's shape. It looks like a Safetran Mechanical bell to me, but I'm not entirely sure. https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8415149 ... 312!8i6656 This bell still exist as far as I know. I haven't been up to Hialeah in a while, but last I was, it was still in place.
Yea, that's a Safetran.
This is very interesting, the FEC is a loyal Western-Cullen Hayes customer. This is the only Safetran Mechanical Bell on the FEC I know of. Why would they buy one mechanical bell from a company they almost never buy from?
dan the ca railfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by dan the ca railfan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:12 pm

that's either a griwold on a raco bell. would be a nice crossing to have on the site.

and also if that's the line i'm thinking of then it's also out of service sadly.
very lucky to live two-three blocks away from three teardrop bells. one of which i see at least once a week!
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:15 pm

dan the ca railfan wrote:
that's either a griwold on a raco bell. would be a nice crossing to have on the site.

and also if that's the line i'm thinking of then it's also out of service sadly.
Did you not read my post right above yours? :Roll: And it's most definitely Safetran, as the base different from a RACO/Griswold bell. And the line's also most definitely in service.
MapsSurfer wrote:
Yea, that's a Safetran.
This is very interesting, the FEC is a loyal Western-Cullen Hayes customer. This is the only Safetran Mechanical Bell on the FEC I know of. Why would they buy one mechanical bell from a company they almost never buy from?
Maybe a trial, or Safetran was briefly used years ago for the bells? Interesting to note that the bell is painted black, so maybe it was bought from an SCL/SBD line somewhere?

ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:And the line's also most definitely in service.
David, haven't you heard? The new way to tell a line's out of service these days is to see a train on it in the distance. :Roll:

:ROFL: :TUP2: :Clap:
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
MapsSurfer

Post by MapsSurfer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 pm

This line is the FEC Mainline through, and into, Hialeah. This line is VERY much in service! As for the reason the FEC would buy a Safetran Bell, I really don't have a clue. The FEC has some a pair of RACO Cantilevers in Fort Pierce, they used to have a pair in Ormond Beach as well, but those are gone. My point is that the FEC does like to buy from other signal companies from time to time. I also found a video of them in action with decent audio:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnnMzzmgmA Skip to 3:09 to hear both the Safetran and WCH mechanical bells.
dan the ca railfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by dan the ca railfan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am

dan the ca railfan wrote:

Did you not read my post right above yours? :Roll: And it's most definitely Safetran, as the base different from a RACO/Griswold bell. And the line's also most definitely in service.
MapsSurfer wrote:
Yea, that's a Safetran.
Maybe a trial, or Safetran was briefly used years ago for the bells? Interesting to note that the bell is painted black, so maybe it was bought from an SCL/SBD line somewhere?
my bad i was hinking of the csx Hialeah sub
very lucky to live two-three blocks away from three teardrop bells. one of which i see at least once a week!
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Bump.
Going back to the OP and another post:
AmtrakProd wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:41 pm
I was watching a video from my friend and heard this bell, what in the world is it, I also hear a GS type 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REWDdLU1lCg
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am
AmtrakProd wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:Quick bump.

Has anyone been able to get (back) out there yet and see what the bell looks like?
I have photos: ImageIMG_3127 by Petru Sofio, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3126 by Petru Sofio, on Flickr
Well, one of those NEGs was there in the video above. So unless one of them is messed-up or has a custom tone, then I'm not sure if the bell that was in the video's still there.
Found this video in my subscriptions today. Starting at about 4:05 in the video is a clip taken at the crossing in question, and I can confirm that the unusual sounding bell is one of those NEG e-bells. Not sure why or how it's set like that, but an interesting bell, nonetheless.

Based on the video, the bell in particular is the one in the first picture.

jff1999

Post by jff1999 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:45 pm

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:37 pm
Bump.
Going back to the OP and another post:
AmtrakProd wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:41 pm
I was watching a video from my friend and heard this bell, what in the world is it, I also hear a GS type 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REWDdLU1lCg
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am
AmtrakProd wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:Quick bump.

Has anyone been able to get (back) out there yet and see what the bell looks like?
I have photos: ImageIMG_3127 by Petru Sofio, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3126 by Petru Sofio, on Flickr
Well, one of those NEGs was there in the video above. So unless one of them is messed-up or has a custom tone, then I'm not sure if the bell that was in the video's still there.
Found this video in my subscriptions today. Starting at about 4:05 in the video is a clip taken at the crossing in question, and I can confirm that the unusual sounding bell is one of those NEG e-bells. Not sure why or how it's set like that, but an interesting bell, nonetheless.

Based on the video, the bell in particular is the one in the first picture.
Another messed up NEG E-Bell that UPking recorded:
Gametrain54321

Post by Gametrain54321 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:44 am

MapsSurfer wrote:This is the only Safetran Mechanical Bell on the FEC I know of. Why would they buy one mechanical bell from a company they almost never buy from?
There's at least one more on the north end of the line near Bowden Yard.