CR 20, Marbury, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

CR 20, Marbury, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:01 pm

*originally recorded on 7-21-19*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights and a General Signals Type 1 electronic bell.

After catching the train in Clanton, I went on documenting the crossings along the S&NA South that I still needed to get for the site. While I was documenting a crossing in Deatsville, the signal at the south end of the siding there turned green for another southbound, so I quickly made my way back up to this crossing to see if I could catch the train at this crossing. Obviously, I was able to beat it, but it turned out to be the same train that I had caught in Clanton, for some reason, despite it having been almost one and a half hours since I had seen him in Clanton, and this crossing ain't too far from there. He then just slowly pulled up into the crossing, stopped, and then shoved back clear of it. Not sure if he was doing something MOW related, was just having PTC problems, or what, but it was certainly unusual. I probably would've tried chasing it farther south, but at this point, I just wanted to finish out the S&NA South Sub and get onto my hotel room, so I didn't.

Even with the train being a bit weird, I'm glad to have been able to record this crossing, as, IMHO, it's a very nice one. The signals here are a pair of old Transport Products Corp. signals from the L&N, though the previous (possibly original) 8 inch lights here were replaced in the late 80s/early 90s with the current Modern Industries 12x24s. Then, in the late 90s/very early 2000s, the previous bell here (possibly the original mechanical bell) was replaced with the current GS Type 1 e-bell. Both signals have managed to retain the mounts for their original split crossbucks as well though, which is rather nice. There's a small hill on this side of the crossing, so the lights on this side are angled upwards slightly. My camera was sitting on said hill as well, which made for a rather nice shot of the crossing, IMHO.
Also, this crossing has an extremely short stop sign posted in front of it. This is also an MUTCD violation, as not only are stop signs not supposed to be posted at signalized crossings like this, but it's also mounted way too low, as the MUTCD requires all signage (at least in areas where pedestrians "are to be expected" like here) to be posted at least 7 feet above the ground. AL 143 can be seen in the background, just beyond the crossing.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: CR 20, Marbury, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun May 07, 2023 1:22 pm

Got another video of this crossing on 4-23-23:

Thankfully, nothing major has changed to these classic L&N signals here since I last filmed this crossing. However, in preparation for intermodal service on this line, CSX has been extending and upgrading multiple passing sidings along the S&NA South, and the siding near here ain't an exception. It appears that, unfortunately, the southern end of this siding will now go through this crossing, and it appears that CSX intends on replacing the signals here, as there's a new relay case in place at this crossing (though not yet active). However, at the time of this video at least, there wasn't any new conduit or foundations installed here, or even any new signals awaiting installation, but the new case looks to be the size CSX typically uses for gated installs. Strangely, said new case also appears to be re-used from somewhere, as it appears to have had some information that was on it sanded off...
Hmm...

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/Marbury/CR20/

freebrickproductions

Re: CR 20, Marbury, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed May 08, 2024 12:33 pm

*originally recorded on 5-1-24*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs and a General Signals Type 1 electronic bell.

After getting the four siren tests, madisoncountysirens4295 and I went around Montgomery visiting the remaining CD-era sirens that were still standing. After that, we continued up to this crossing on the CSX S&NA South Subdivision, where we found a northbound train waiting in the siding for a southbound to come past. After a bit of waiting, we were able to get this southbound loaded coal train with a pair of ES44AHs on the head-end, and an ET44AH and an AC44CW working as the mid-train DPUs.

In 2023, between my previous video here in April and street view's next visit here in July, the passing siding here was extended through this crossing and both signals were replaced as a result. Thankfully, CSX chose to keep this crossing gateless, which is nice to see. Even better, the GS Type 1 e-bell here was reused onto the new signals, though, sadly, it now sounds rather quiet and scratchy. I'm glad to see it's still around though. The new relay case here also seems to have been reused from another crossing, though I'm not sure which one as all identifying info on it has been scrubbed off.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/Marbury/CR20/