Quietdale Drive, Huntsville, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Re: Quietdale Drive, Huntsville, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:12 pm

Got another video of this crossing on 8-18-23:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:26 pm

And I was able to get an evening shot here on 10-17-23:

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:28 am

And another video of this crossing on 11-1-23:

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:05 pm

And 11-30-23 as well:

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:41 pm

*originally recorded on 3-11-24*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with GE Uniform Look LEDs.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with GE Uniform Look LEDs and a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell.

After I caught 101 at Vine Street, I tried to chase it further back west, and try to get it once more before it met 732 and 362 at Wheeler, but I had to give-up that idea when a local freight came out of an industry on the northwest side of Decatur and began to slowly crawl across AL 20. As such, I decided to turn around and help a friend of mine pick-up some medicine they needed to get from a pharmacy instead. After that, 732 was starting to get close, so we went out over to this crossing, which I had been wanting to get for a bit. Here we get to see the first train I caught on this day once again, this time with a friendly crew aboard.

Sadly, sometime earlier this year (it appears), NS went through and upgraded this crossing. Thankfully, it still retains the older gateless signals, but now the lights are all LED and the bell was replaced with the current GS Type 3 e-bell. Not entirely sure why the bell specifically was replaced, but I suspect the WCH mechanical must've died. A bit of a shame that the last recording I got of that bell was on the opposite side from it, I was kinda always afraid that would happen...
Oh well, at least I got plenty of recordings here back when it still had the WCH mechanical bell. I will miss hearing that bell though, especially since it was one of the last three gateless crossings along the Memphis East's main with a mechanical bell. I suppose there's at least two more, both of which are in Scottsboro now. Maybe I should take a day and see if I can't shoot every remaining mechanical bell on the Memphis East's main. It shouldn't be too impossible by my quick calculations...
Admittedly, I'd been meaning to get out here and get a recording of this crossing since I found-out it was upgraded, but every time I'd try for it, the afternoon eastbound I'd be waiting on (almost always 362) wouldn't get here until after sunset, for whatever reason. Thankfully, on this evening, there was *just* enough evening twilight left for a halfway-decent video, but, hopefully since I did what the universe wanted me to do for some reason, now I'll be able to return here in the near future for a proper recording in the afternoon daylight. I guess we'll just have to see.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/H ... Quietdale/

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:40 am

Got a better video of the upgraded signals here the following afternoon, on 3-12-24:

It appears there's also a mix of older and newer GE LEDs here, given the fact that one of the LEDs on the far signal flickers on camera while the rest don't.