Jackson Avenue, Clanton, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Jackson Avenue, Clanton, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:34 am

*originally recorded on 7-21-19*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a GRS gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a Modern Industries mechanical bell, a GRS gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

On my way down to the Dothan Sub, I decided I'd stop along the southern end of the S&NA South Subdivision to try and get the remaining signalized crossings along the line documented for the site, along with at least catching a train at this crossing. After I had documented the upgrade at Logan Road, I noticed the signal to the north had changed to allow for a northbound train to pass, so I quickly made my way up to this crossing. After a couple hours of waiting, I decided to zoom in and take a look at the signals with my camera, when I saw that the signals had changed again to allow for a southbound train to roll through on the siding track! And not but just a few minutes later, this weird southbound train rolls through with an ES40DC leading an ES44AH. Honestly not sure what this train was, it appears to have been some kind of work train combined with a mixed freight, in all honesty.

This crossing is one that I had wanted to record when I was last down here, but never got the chance to. Like the private crossing in Thorsby, this crossing is a 1970s L&N install that's had very few changes done to it. In the 1990s, CSX replaced the original 8 inch lights (not sure if they were Federal Signal or Modern Industries) with the current Safetran 12x24s. Sometime between 2014 and 2016, the current gate arms and gate lights were installed, replacing some older diagonally striped ones (also likely installed by CSX). However, like the private crossing in Thorsby, this crossing has managed to retain its original gate mechs and bell over these past several years! Unfortunately, the bell does sound like it's beginning to die, given how much it clicks when it starts, but I'm glad to have been able to record it when I could.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/Clanton/Jackson/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: Jackson Avenue, Clanton, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:32 pm

No major changes here as of 6-26-22:

They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.