I-59 #1, Attalla, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

I-59 #1, Attalla, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 pm

*originally recorded on 12-27-19*

The lone signal here has 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a WCH Type 4 electronic bell, a WCH gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

A few minutes after the train stopped by Cherry Street, and I had asked the engineer why they'd stopped, I decided I'd try to get I-59 #2 recorded. Unfortunately, by the time I was about up at this crossing, they were ready to continue on into the yard, so I wasn't able to record that crossing on this trip (though its WCH mechanical bell can still be heard in the background of the video). However, I was still just barely able to get set-up at this crossing and get a decent video of it. I probably should've stayed at Cherry Street, but oh well. At least I got one of the I-59 service road crossings recorded.
I had quite a bit of fun on this chase, so I guess I'll have to see about taking more Fridays off (if I ain't just scheduled off) and chasing this run south some more.

This crossing is a bit of an interesting one, primarily for being located on a one-way service road for Exit 183 on I-59. Due to the close proximity of 5th Avenue (US 278/US 431) and Cleveland Avenue (which appears to have been the original alignment of one of, if not both of, the routes), when ALDOT built Exit 183 here, they chose to have a pair of service roads connecting the two with the on and off ramps, crossing this line at-grade. As a result, we have two crossings on what could technically be considered part of the Interstate Highway System, even if they ain't directly on I-59 themselves.
The current signal here was originally installed by CSX in the mid-1990s, and remained largely original into the late-2000s. However, sometime between 2008 and 2013 (according to GSV), the WCH mechanical bell here must've died and the ATN replaced it with a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, which rang when the gate was lowered, at least on my trip to this area to successfully record Cherry Street for the first time.
However, sometime in 2018, the General Signals e-bell must've died, along with the original Safetran gate mech breaking at around the same time, so both were replaced with the current WCH equipment. Unfortunately, the bell here now shuts off while the gate is lowered, which is a bit of a shame, as bells that ring while the gates are down are rare to find on CSX installs. However, the signal still looks quite nice, if not better than it did before, as I think the current equipment mixture looks nice. So all's well that ends well, I suppose.
I-59 can be seen quite easily in the background of the video.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/Attalla/I-59_1/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.