CR 1343, Vinemont, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

CR 1343, Vinemont, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:09 pm

*originally recorded on 12-31-19*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, an NEG electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, an NEG electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After I caught Y101, I drove around a little bit and saw Y101 heading back to the interchange. After chatting with the engineer a bit, I saw Q029 approaching with a cool lash-up, so I shot a picture of him and tried to chase him south to the southern part of Decatur or even Hartselle, but, unfortunately, traffic prevented me from being able to beat them to that area. So, instead, I remembered I had yet to record the crossing in Vinemont, so I continued on south to there.
Once I got there, I didn't see any trains, so I decided to set on up anyways and see if I had beat it or not. After a little bit of waiting, I heard the distant rumbling of an engine which slowly but steadily grew louder and louder. Eventually, I saw what was making the racket: a southbound CSX local freight with a single GP38-3 running long-hood forwards and making quite a roar! In fact, I decided to leave in a good minute or so before the crossing activated so y'all can listen to that EMD 645 prime mover roaring as it struggled to pull 15 cars up the hill.
However, while the local freight was crossing, I looked to my left, and noticed the train I had chased here was approaching: CSX Q029 with a YN2 AC44CW leading a YN3 Dash-8! All in all, I'm quite glad I decided to "bite the bullet" and continue on down to this crossing, especially since I got to catch another race.

The signals here aren't bad, but nothing really too special. The signals here were installed sometime in the early 2010s, most likely replacing a pair of crossbucks. Sometime between 2014 and 2017, both of the original Safetran Type 3s were, of course, replaced with the current NEG e-bells (I'm guessing they died). And then, sometime between 2017 and today, CSX replaced both of the original gate arms with the current ones, though the RECO LED gate lights were kept. This is also pretty much the only crossing in Vinemont as well. Also, for some reason, the gates remained down for a couple of minutes after the trains passed.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/R-Z/Vinemont/CR1343/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.