AL 102, Townley, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

AL 102, Townley, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:05 am

*originally recorded on 1-6-21*

Signal on the left: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After catching H-MEMBIR in Kansas, I chased it on over to this crossing, where, based on the signals at CP South Townley, I figured that they'd be meeting a northbound train. After a bit of waiting, said northbound showed-up and turned out to be a Geometry train with an ES44DC for power! Certainly one of my better catches today, though I ultimately decided not to chase it back north.

This crossing is also a pretty nice one, featuring a pair of 1990s BN signals that are still mostly original. In the early 2000s, both of the original Safetran mechanical bells here, or whatever bells were here at the time, were replaced with a pair of GS Type 2 e-bells. Then, sometime between 2014 and 2019, the GS Type 2 on the far side must've died and was replaced with the current GS Type 3, which certainly makes for a neat bell combo. AL 124 can also be seen on the other side of the crossing.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: AL 102, Townley, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:47 am

*originally recorded on 4-23-24*

Signal on the left: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

While waiting for the southbound intermodal train, @BNSFBishop alerted me to a northbound empty coal train, E-PAMATM, was going to meet the intermodal at Clifton Siding between Townley and Jasper. As such, I hopped on down to this crossing in Townley and waited. After about 20 minutes or so of waiting, BNSF E-PAMATM came through with a pair of new ES44ACHs pulling and a pair of SD70ACes working as the DPUs. The second SD70ACe on this train was also vandalized, which was a bit interesting to see. It seems BNSF likes to put their new ES44ACHs and ET44ACHs on the West Jefferson coal trains for some reason. I don't think any have cropped-up on the Scherer or Kingston coal trains that run the Memphis East yet.

Since I was last here, BNSF has upgraded these signals to LED. I will admit, I wasn't expecting it at all, though, admittedly, I hadn't been through here since about 2021. As such, I'm not entirely sure when this happened either, though I wouldn't be too surprised if it was in 2022 like the upgrades around Winfield and points west. I suppose it makes sense that this crossing got an LED upgrade though, as this was the last incandescent crossing in Townley and is also on a state highway. Either way, I'm glad to see the mid-90s BN signals here still remain, even if they are fully LED now.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/R-Z/Townley/AL102/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.