CR 55, near Tuskegee, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

CR 55, near Tuskegee, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:57 pm

*originally recorded on 8-1-21*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights and a Safetran mechanical bell.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights and a Safetran mechanical bell.

After documenting some abandoned crossings (and that malfunctioning one), I went over to the CSX AWP (previously WofA) Subdivision to see about finishing the line to Montgomery. Got to this crossing first, and given how nice of an install it has, I decided to set-up here and wait as it sounded like a Q220 was approaching. However, I didn't realize it was still northeast of West Point. As I didn't want to miss this crossing, I struck around here and waited for a few hours, when a Q649 wound-up coming through instead with a YN3b ES44AH leading a YN2 AC44CW.

This crossing is a very nice one, featuring a pair of older gateless signals and a 1st Gen Safetran mechanical bell paired-up with a 2nd Gen Safetran mechanical bell. It appears that this was originally an old AWP install from the 70s, but in the 1980s, the SBD replaced the bell on the closer signal with a newer Safetran mechanical bell. Then, in the late-90s, it appears that the closer signal was replaced entirely (though re-using the same bell on it) while the far one just had its lights all replaced.
Since then, it doesn't appear that any major changes have occured to this crossing, thankfully. Both Safetran bells here also still sound quite loud and healthy too, which is great to see. Believe this is also the only gateless crossing left in Alabama with multiple Safetran mechanical bells, so hopefully they remain around for a good while longer. Either way though, I'm quite glad to have been able to record this nice older gateless install.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.