Marion Spillway Road, near Elmore, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Marion Spillway Road, near Elmore, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:31 pm

*originally recorded on 8-2-21*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights and a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell.
Signal on the right: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights.

As the autorack train and Q523 were meeting in Elmore, I decided to go back-up to the north side of Elmore to get one more video of this train, since it had such a great lash-up. Here we see the autorack train continuing on its trip north (to I believe Birmingham?), though this was the only other place I caught it at. Due to how late it was starting to get, and the fact that I was almost out of memory on my camera, I decided to just go and get some Chilton County peaches for my parents and return on home to Huntsville after this.

This crossing is another pretty nice little one, though I will admit I'd been hoping the bell here was a Type 1, as it's definitely an older GS e-bell. Instead, it's an early GS Type 2, which I suppose isn't too bad. Either way though, it appears that originally, this was a later-L&N install, most likely from the 1970s, though in the 90s, CSX replaced all of the original (most likely) Modern Industries lights here with Safetran 12x24s. Then, in the early 2000s, the signal on the far side was replaced entirely by CSX for some reason, along with the relay case here. My guess is that a truck here must've gotten struck by a northbound train, and it wiped-out the equipment on that side of the crossing in the process. However, despite this, the old L&N signal on this side was left alone, which is nice to see. Since then, no major changes have occured here, thankfully, and hopefully the L&N signal on this side remains around for a good while longer, as it still looks quite nice.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/E ... _Spillway/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.