3rd Street, Hayden, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

3rd Street, Hayden, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:32 pm

*originally recorded on 8-16-21*

Northbound signal: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, a Safetran gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.
Southbound signal: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, a General Signals Type 1 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.

After catching the southbound mixed freight with a Dash-8 leading, I hung around in Hayden to try and record this crossing. While waiting for that train, I'd heard there was a Q126 working down in Birmingham, though it would take a while to get here. However, about 2 and a half hours after the mixed freight had passed, and thankfully before sunset, Q126 finally came through with a YN3b CM44AH leading a YN2 AC44CW on the head-end, and a YN3b ES44AH working as the mid-train DPU!

Not too long after catching Q126 here, I heard what sounded like a second northbound train approaching, so I decided to hop over to the other side of the crossing to record it. And, about 20 minutes after Q126 had come through, this northbound mixed freight comes rolling through the crossing with an ES44AH leading an AC44CW, an ES40DC, and another AC44CW on the head-end and another ES44AH working as the rear-DPU. Definitely the least interesting of the three trains I was able to catch on this day. After this, I returned back to Huntsville as the sun had already set.

This crossing is also a rather nice one, featuring a pair of old TPC gated signals from the L&N. It appears that at some point, the L&N replaced the original TPC base cover on the southbound signal with a GRS one. Then, in the late-90s (or maybe very early 2000s), CSX replaced all of the equipment that was here at the time with the current stuff, but thankfully retained the original TPC masts, complete with their original light bracket extensions! Since then, the only major change here was the LED upgrade that was done to these signals in 2013/2014, with the gate arms (and gate lights) having been replaced a bit more recently. These are the last gated TPC signals on the S&NA North, so I'm glad to have been able to film them. It's also nice to see another GS Type 1 still remaining on the S&NA North. All in all, this is a good crossing and I'm glad I was finally able to record it.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/Hayden/3/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.