59th Street, Birmingham, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

59th Street, Birmingham, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:46 pm

*originally recorded on 11-19-21*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, NEG LED gate lights, and a RECO gate light.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.

After catching the BNSF local freight working, I decided to head over here to try and get this crossing properly recorded. And I was in luck, as not too long after I got here, this westbound local freight came through with an SD40-2 leading an SD60e.

This crossing is a pretty decent one, though it is a bit on the boring side. The signals here are a 90s NS install, but, in the 2000s, NS appears to have replaced both of the original Safetran mechanical bells here with the current GS Type 2s. Since then, no major changes have occured here, though sometime a bit more recently, the far side, had its incandescent NEG gate lights replaced with the current set of NED LED gate lights.

A bit more on the amusing side is that I was kinda able to record a car accident here. The white truck seen was hauling a trailer, and it appears that they were gonna try to get across as the crossing activated, but must've seen the approaching train and got cold feet, so they decided to stop and try backing-up and waiting. Unfortunately for them, there was a car right behind them that was trying to follow them across, and as such, they wound-up smacking the trailer right into the front of that car. Thankfully, it was a rather low-speed collision and there didn't appear to be any damage to either vehicle. Was still certainly amusing to watch, though.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/Birmingham/59/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.