CR 18, Newton, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

CR 18, Newton, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue May 03, 2022 8:11 pm

*originally recorded on 4-2-22*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of WRRS 8 inch lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of WRRS 8 inch lights and a dying WRRS mechanical bell.

This was the second crossing I caught CSX B211 at, and it's another one I'd been wanting to record since 2019, so I'm glad I was finally able to do so. The crossing here features a pure late-60s/early-70s SCL install, that is still entirely original! The equipment here, despite almost all of it featuring WRRS branding, is actually all earlier Federal Signal equipment, as indicated by the FS branding on the rears of the bases, just like with the crossing along this line up in Ansley, AL. Due to the clouds here at the time as well, I was able to set-up on the side with the bell, which, IMHO, provided a bunch better angle for the crossing than the other side.
Unlike the crossing in Ansley, this one still features its original WRRS bell, which is rather nice to see. Unfortunately, the bell here is starting to die. It ain't too terrible, but it is noticeably struggling at points and it does skip the occasional beat. Does still have a rather nice tone to it though, so hopefully CSX gives it some needed TLC. One of the lights on the far signal was also out here at the time.
According to the guy in the silver pick-up seen in the video (who I'm guessing is a local), this crossing also has a tendency to malfunction.
Either way, I'm certainly quite glad I was able to record this crossing finally. Hopefully, CSX keeps these nice old SCL signals unchanged, but if they don't, then at least I got this when I did.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/Newton/CR18/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.