Rural Street, Evergreen, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Rural Street, Evergreen, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:34 pm

*originally recorded on 5-16-22*

Signal on the left: 4 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 1.5 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights, 1.5 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a General Signals Type 1 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After catching the northbound mixed freight in Owassa, I continued on into Evergreen documenting crossings. After filming the little incandescent Safetran beacon next to this crossing, and while documenting this crossing, I heard another northbound quickly approaching, so I ran to my car and grabbed my camera and set-up here with barely any time to spare.
Here I was able to get my third and final train of the day: a northbound mixed freight with a pair of YN3b ES44AHs leading a pair of YN2 AC44CWs. Interestingly enough, these AC44s were the exact pair I'd caught on Q523 a couple days prior a bit north of Birmingham.
After this, I continued south documenting crossings as far as Brewton before the sun set, but no other trains came through.

This crossing is a rather nice one, and one I was actually hoping to be able to record, lol. The signals here are an SBD install from the 1980s, and are still fairly original which is rather nice to see. It appears that in the 2000s, CSX replaced the front-left mast light with the current Safetran 12x24. Then, sometime between 2008 and 2009, both of the original Safetran mechanical bells here were sadly replaced with the current GS e-bells. While the far signal had its bell replaced with a GS Type 2, the closer signal thankfully received a re-used GS Type 1. Since then as well, there have thankfully been no major changes to either signal here, something which I hope remains the case for many more years to come. Either way though, I'm quite glad to have been able to record these older gated cantilevers in action.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.