Canal Street, Mobile, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Canal Street, Mobile, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:20 pm

*originally recorded on 5-17-22*

Signal on the left: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs.
Signal on the right: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights and a dead General Signals electronic bell.

After catching the southbound mixed freight, I saw that CSX had another northbound lined into Mobile here, so I decided to set-up at this crossing since this angle would allow for a nice shot of the train. Here we see a northbound mixed freight rolling taking the crossover here with a YN3 ES40DC leading a YN2 Dash-8.

This crossing is the third of the three gateless crossings along Old Water Street just south of downtown Mobile, and it too has an interesting set-up at it. Like with the others, you have a pretty typical early 2000s CSX cantilever install protecting Canal Street, but this one features a rather stubby cantilever protecting only Old Water Street, which I think looks pretty neat. The cantilever for Old Water Street is also a bit newer than the other signal here, as it appears to be from the mid to late-2000s, and is also fully LED as a result. Not sure if there had been a cantilever here previously (and the current one is a knock-down replacement) or if it was installed to better protect this crossing, but either way, I don't believe it's original to the crossing here. This crossing does still retain its original General Signals e-bell, but as you can unfortunately see, it no longer works. I wouldn't be too surprised if CSX replaces it with a new NEG e-bell before too long, if they haven't done so already.
Either way, this is still a pretty neat little crossing, and I'm glad to have been able to record it and the other two gateless crossings along this part of the NO&M Sub.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.