Holcomb Boulevard, Ocean Springs, MS

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Holcomb Boulevard, Ocean Springs, MS

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:26 pm

*originally recorded on 5-18-22*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Modern Industries 8 inch lights, an NEG electronic bell, a WABCO Model 75 gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 1.5 pairs of Modern Industries 8 inch lights, a Safetran gate mechanism, RECO LED gate lights, and a RECO incandescent gate light.

After I caught the eastbound mixed freight, I continued a bit further east to this crossing, since it was another one I wanted to record. After about an hour of waiting here, this westbound mixed freight came through with an AC44CW leading an ES44AH and an ET44AH.

This crossing is another nice one, featuring what appears to be another 70s L&N install, and is a bit of an unusual one at that. It appears that in the 80s or 90s, CSX replaced the bell here with a WCH mechanical bell. Then, sometime between 2008 and 2013, CSX replaced the WABCO Model 75 gate mech on the closer signal with the current Safetran one. Finally, sometime between 2016 and 2019, CSX replaced the WCH mechanical bell with the current NEG e-bell. Since then, the only major change that appears to have occurred here is that the closer signal lost its left-rear light, likely sometime relatively recently to when I recorded this. No idea if CSX has since fixed this or not, and if they did, how it was fixed, but it was a bit interesting to see at the time, TBH.
The reason I say this crossing is a bit of an unusual install is due to the gate masts and original mechanisms. This crossing features a WABCO Model 75 gate mech on the far signal, with the closer one originally having had one as well it seems, rather than the typical GRS Type D gate mechs the L&N loved to use. I believe the L&N briefly experimented with WABCO gate mechs, as I've seen two other L&N installs with them: one in Alabama on the M&M Subdivision and one in far NW Georgia (just outside of Chattanooga) on the W&A Subdivision (which I believe has since been replaced). The gate masts here are also unusually tall, though that might've just been the way they were ordered by the L&N, as the other two crossings I'm aware of with these aren't double-mast installs like this one. It's entirely possible these were installed later to replace the original gate masts as well, but these honestly look like they're original, so that's what I assume they are. The bell here also rings while the gates are down, which is rather neat to see as well. Although I didn't notice it at the time, the closer signal also still appears to retain an incandescent gate light, which is great to see.
Either way, it's certainly a neat little crossing and I'm glad I got to record it. Hopefully the remaining old equipment stays around here for a good while longer.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.