Bechtel Boulevard, Ocean Springs, MS

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Bechtel Boulevard, Ocean Springs, MS

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:45 pm

*originally recorded on 5-18-22*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of WCH 8 inch lights, a GRS gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a Safetran Type 2 electronic bell, a GRS gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After catching the westbound mixed freight, I continued over to this crossing to get it recorded as well, and it would be my final video in Ocean Springs (but wouldn't be my last video of the night). After a little over an hour of waiting, the local freight seen earlier in the day made its return trip to Pascagoula with the same SD40-3 for power.

This crossing is another nice one, featuring yet another 70s L&N install, though it does appear that this one is from the late-70s. At some point, CSX (I believe) added short extensions to the gate masts, but in the early to mid-2000s, the closer signal had the light mast replaced entirely with the current one, with no major changes since then. In fact, this seems to have been the only major change to the crossing since it was installed, which is rather nice to see.
Do honestly would've preferred to have filmed the other side of the crossing, given that that side still features 8 inch lights, but this side is still pretty nice. The Safetran Type 2 here has a nice "throaty" tone to it, which I always enjoy. Said bell has also had its base completely rust over the years, no doubt thanks to its close proximity to the Gulf of Mexico and the salty ocean air here. Still nice getting to record another pair of GRS gate mechs as well.
Hopefully these signals remain unchanged for many more decades to come as well, but either way, I'm definitely glad I got to film these when I did.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.