East Street, Brewton, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

East Street, Brewton, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:55 pm

*originally recorded on 5-20-22*

Signal on the left: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a WABCO Model 75 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a WABCO Model 75 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After catching the CSX local freight in Florida, I finished-up documenting the entire CSX M&M Subdivision, and decided to set-up at this crossing in Brewton and wait to see if I could get anything else along this line and get this crossing recorded. After a few hours of waiting, and not too long before the sun set, this CSX Q524 finally came rolling through with an AC44CW leading an ES44AH. After this, I got some supper, and went on home to Huntsville, as it was getting late and nothing else seemed to be in the area. I did double back towards Mobile a bit though, so I could drive every mile of I-65 in the state of Alabama.

This crossing is another nice one, and I'm glad I was able to end off my Mobile trip with it. These signals appear to be another 1970s L&N install, and appear to be one of those slightly unusual ones that feature the WABCO Model 75 gate mechs rather than the typical GRS Type D gate mechs. Either way, it appears that in the early-2000s, CSX upgraded all of the lights to the current Safetran 12x24s and the bell was replaced with the current GS Type 2. Since then, however, no major changes appear to have occurred to this crossing, thankfully.
What I'm especially glad to see are still around (and why I wanted to get this crossing so much, even over the gated one signal wonder that's the next crossing south) is that it still features both of the original WABCO Model 75 gate mechs. It doesn't seem that the L&N installed too many of 'em, and I think this is the only ex-L&N crossing in Alabama left with any. The crossing is also a bit unusual in that the closer signal doesn't feature any front lights, likely due to the fact that this side of the crossing is a T intersection. Probably not the rarest thing out there, but I do think it makes the signal look a bit strange, IMHO.
All in all, this is a rather nice little crossing, and I'm quite glad I got to record it. Hopefully these old signals remain in use, especially with their WABCO gate mechs, for many more years to come. The crossing also did a tail-ring malfunction after the train passed, for some reason.

While I was filming this crossing as well, I also got to chat with a local city councilman (who can be easily seen at the end) who complained to me about the state of the grade at the next crossing north, which is definitely in need of some work. CSX should probably get around to fixing it, if they haven't already.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.