Evergreen Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Evergreen Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:34 pm

*originally recorded on 6-5-22*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with General Signals LEDs, an ASC electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 1.5 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with General Signals LEDs, 1 Safetran 12x24 inch light with an Electro-tech LED, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Pedestrian signal on the left: a Safetran gate mechanism.
Pedestrian signal on the right: a Safetran gate mechanism.
This crossing is in a quiet zone.

After watching the closing ceremonies at Whinny City, I decided to grab my friend Zac and we went up to the UP Harvard Subdivision in Arlington Heights since it was nearby and a couple of Metra trains were to be due there soon. Not too long after we got here, this outbound Metra train came arrived with an F40PH-3 for power.

This crossing is another rather nice one. The signals here appear to have been a mid-90s C&NW install, though the all of the lights here and the gate mech on the closer signal seem to date back to the 1980s. It also appears that the far signal originally had a pair of side lights, which have long since been removed. In the 2000s, UP gave this crossing an LED upgrade, using General Signals LEDs rather than Electro-tech LEDs, though they did use the GS LEDs for a brief while in the 2000s. Since then, no major changes seem to have occurred here, thankfully, though the front-left LED on the closer signal did get replaced with the current Electro-tech one, I think sometime between 2012 and 2016.
I wanted to film on the side with the ASC e-bell, but the lighting here at the time made filming this side of the crossing the better option. Plus, the restaurant in that corner of the crossing plays music outdoors, which I'd rather not have to deal with the potential copyright issues from, so I just set-up over here. Either way, it was nice filming another ASC e-bell, and I'm quite glad I was able to get this crossing recorded as well, given that it has the other ASC e-bell in Arlington Heights. This crossing also still features a diagonally striped gate arm on the closer signal, which is rather nice to see as well.
Hopefully these signals remain unchanged for many more years to come, but either way, I'm quite glad I was able to record these as well.