Talladega Street, Opelika, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Talladega Street, Opelika, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:02 am

*originally recorded on 7-3-22*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, an NEG electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, RECO LED gate lights, and an NEG LED gate light.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a Safetran mechanical bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After documenting a few upgrades, I went to this crossing to document the upgrade here and record it in action. After a bit of waiting (and as the sun was setting), M602 came through once again, and I was thankfully able to get this crossing in action as well. It was nice getting to see this AC44/60CW leader once more too.

This crossing is another rather nice one, featuring a Safetran SBD install from the 80s that's also still fairly original. Unfortunately, sometime within the past few years, CSX replaced the original Safetran mechanical bell here on the left-hand signal with the current NEG e-bell, meaning that this crossing is no longer a "pure" SBD install.
Despite this, the right-hand signal still retains its original bell, which is nice to see, though it is sounding a bit worn-out. Hopefully CSX gives it some TLC.
Another reason I wanted to record this crossing was due to the set-up on the right-hand signal. Due to the sharp bend in the road on this side of it, the front lights are set-up as side lights, and the rear lights are mounted onto a small extension arm from the mast. Not entirely sure why the SBD did it this way, rather than having the front lights on the extension (wth the rear lights on the mast), but I suspect the driveway on this side of the crossing next to the signal might be way. Either way, it still looks rather neat, and I'm glad I was able to record this crossing from this side of it.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/O ... Talladega/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.