Weber Road, Columbus, OH

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Weber Road, Columbus, OH

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:47 pm

*originally recorded on 7-17-22*

Signal on the left (NS): 1 pair of Safetran 12x20 inch lights with Safetran Fading LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x20 inch lights with GE Uniform Look LEDs, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Siemens gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right (CSX): 4 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights, a Safetran Hybrid bell, a WCH gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After catching the two trains in Lewis Center, I continued on south to Columbus for one final crossing. IIRC, not too long after I got here, this northbound NS mixed freight came through with an NS ET44AC leading an NS Dash-9 and a CN ES44AC.

After catching the northbound mixed freight, I decided to wait for another train at this crossing, and set-up on the eastern side of it as I wanted to record the Safetran Fading LEDs here. After a bit of waiting, this southbound NS mixed freight came through with an ES44DC leading a Dash-9. After this, I went back to TrotCon for the charity auction.
You can also hear the defect detector just north of this crossing reading-out after the train has passed.

This crossing is a rather neat one, especially since it's another one of those "half-and-half" crossings where one signal is maintained by one railroad while another is maintained by a different railroad. It appears that originally, there were two gated signals here, with the one on the far side having been a WRRS signal installed by the PRR while the closer one would've been an old NYC signal. In the 1970s or 80s (it appears), the N&W replaced the lights on the far signal with what appear to have been some Safetran 8 inch lights. Then, in the 1990s, NS replaced the gate mechanism on their signal, while Conrail replaced their signal entirely with the current cantilever. The crossing then remained unchanged until sometime between 2011 and 2014, when NS upgraded the lights on their signal to Safetran 12x20 inch lights.
The crossing was then left alone for several more years, until sometime between 2018 and 2019 when NS replaced their signal entirely with a brand new one. Then, sometime between 2019 and 2021, NS replaced their signal *yet again*, with the current one, which was the first signal at this crossing to get LED lights. Thankfully, since then, no major changes appear to have occurred to this crossing.
Of course, the main reason why I came here was CSX's signal here, which still features an almost fully original 90s Conrail install still. The Safetran Hybrid bell on it also still sounds very healthy, which is rather nice to see.
A bit unusually, NS's signal features a pair of Safetran Fading LEDs in the front lights, which I don't believe I've seen them use *literally anywhere else*. Dunno how those ended up here, but they're still rather neat to see. Another neat thing to see with NS's signal is that the bell on it rings until the gates rise as well, which is a bit unusual for an NS signal.
All in all, this is another great crossing. Hopefully the signals here remain untouched for many more years to come, but either way, I'm quite glad to have been able to record it.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Ohio/A-K/Columbus/Weber/