2nd Avenue (US 31A Business), Lewisburg, TN

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

2nd Avenue (US 31A Business), Lewisburg, TN

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:38 am

*originally recorded on 1-27-23*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs and 1 pair of WCH 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs and an NEG electronic bell.

After I caught L693 at Springplace Road, I went back over to this crossing for the return trip back up the Belfast Branch as it's the other interesting crossing on this line. After a little while of waiting, L693 came back through this crossing, this time with the GP40-2 pulling instead of pushing.

This crossing's a pretty decent one, featuring a pair of old L&N signals, though the cantilever here ain't original. It appears that the signals here were installed by the L&N back in the 1970s, with the far signal having originally been a Federal Signal or WCH cantilever with a Modern Industries bell, and the closer signal having been bell-less. The crossing was largely untouched until 2012, it appears, when CSX upgraded this crossing to LED, replacing all of the lights here with the current Safetran 12x24s in the process. Then, sometime between 2013 and 2017, CSX replaced the cantilever on the far side, for some reason, with the current one and installed the current NEG e-bell on the mast signal here. It appears that the lights from the old cantilever were re-used onto the current one, with an extra pair of WCH 12x24s being installed on it as well. I believe this cantilever originally came from the Ellington Parkway crossing, as that crossing appears to have originally featured the cantilever seen at this crossing. Either way, the cantilever here currently seems to just be a bit too large for the road, as two pairs of the overhead mast lights are just about over the center lines, and that's even with the current cantilever having been set a bit back from the road! I suppose it helps provide better visibility around the curve though.
Thankfully, since the cantilever here was replaced, no further changes have occurred to this crossing. Hopefully no more occur here for many more years to come, but either way, I'm glad I was able to film this crossing in action.
Also, I'm not sure why that US 431 Business shield is standing just beyond this crossing. US 31A Business is the only signed highway that goes through this crossing, and it doesn't intersect US 431 Business for another couple blocks...
Maybe it was originally a Junction US 431 shield?

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Tennessee/G-Q/Lewisburg/2/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.