Shattuck Industrial Boulevard (GA 337), LaFayette, GA

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Shattuck Industrial Boulevard (GA 337), LaFayette, GA

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:35 am

*originally recorded on 9-30-23*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of WCH 12x20 inch lights with GE Dotted LEDs, a WCH Type 3 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of WCH 12x20 inch lights with GE Dotted LEDs, a Safetran gate mechanism, General Signals gate lights, and a General Signals LED gate light.

After catching the train in Trion again, I chased it back north to LaFayette, GA. Here we see it passing once again, continuing north to Chattanooga at the fourteenth crossing I recorded on this day.

This crossing's a pretty decent one, if one of the more boring crossings on the CCKY, but it does have a bit of an interesting history to it. The signals here appear to have been installed by the Southern Railway back in the 1970s, and likely remained fairly original for the decades after. However, in the 2000s, it appears the CCKY upgraded the lights here with the current WCH 12x20s (originally incandescent) and the bell was replaced with a WCH e-bell. Then, sometime between 2007 and 2011 (per an old video from @owensri2 ), the original Safetran gate mechanisms here were replaced with the current Safetran ones, which is a bit unusual given the fact that the CCKY was largely WCH by this point. At about the same time, it seems, the WCH e-bell here was replaced with a General Signals Type 2 e-bell, also as seen in Owen's video. Interestingly, that video from Owen also shows the vertically-striped gate arm on the far signal, undoubtedly one of the first to be installed in the US.
Sometime after 2011, and before 2021, two more changes would occur here. Assuming they didn't occur at the same time, I believe the first was the fact that the GS Type 2 e-bell here was replaced with the current WCH e-bell. Then, likely in the latter-half of the 2010s, the CCKY upgraded the lights to LED. Since then, however, no major changes appear to have occurred to this crossing.
Thankfully, the old SOU-era masts are still here, and the closer signal still retains a mostly-diagonally striped gate arm as well. The bell here rings the entire time the signals are on, which is rather nice to see. The Safetran gate mechs here are also the only ones on the CCKY that are of the 2000s design, as well as being the newest ones installed on the CCKY, given that the other Safetran ones are all 70s and 80s ones, with the rest of the gate mechs mostly being WCH (and a pair of late-GRS ones in Chickamauga).

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Georgia/G-Q/L ... ndustrial/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.