Walker County Industrial Drive, near LaFayette, GA

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Walker County Industrial Drive, near LaFayette, GA

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:38 am

*originally recorded on 9-30-23*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights with GE Dotted LEDs, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a WCH gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.
Median signal: 2.5 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights with GE Dotted LEDs, a Safetran 12x24 inch light with a GE Dotted LED, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a WCH gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights with GE Dotted LEDs, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a WCH gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.

After shooting the Summerville Steam Special on the south side of LaFayette, I chased it across the city to this crossing just north of LaFayette. Here we see the train again leaving LaFayette on the journey north, at the fifteenth crossing I recorded on this day.

This crossing's definitely a bit of a more boring one, and arguably the least interesting of all of the CCKY's crossings, but it's a bit more interesting than at first glance, especially since, prior to 2015 this crossing did not exist. In 2015, however, this road was built here for a new, eventual industrial park (which only contains one industry at the western end of the road), and these signals were installed that year. The signals remained unchanged up until sometime between August and November of 2021, when the front-right light on the median signal was replaced with a reused Safetran 12x24 inch lighthead from the 90s. It appears that the GE Dotted LED in the original WCH head was reinstalled in the Safetran one. Since then, however, no other major changes appear to have occurred to this crossing.
As this is a fairly modern G&W install, it features the typical modern G&W bell sequence of the bells shutting-off when the gates lower, and then ringing again when the gates rise. However, for some reason, it sounds like only the median signal's bell here rings until the gates have lowered, but, when the gates rise, at least the right-hand signal's bell is the one that rings (though it could also be both shoulder signal bells or all three bells ringing when the gates rise). The bells here also seem to start a bit early, as the one starts about a second before the lights do, and then they start again about a second before the gates begin to rise. I have no idea why the bells here operate like this, so it's definitely a bit on the unusual side.
Other than a couple of knockdown replacements, I believe this crossing features the newest install on the CCKY.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Georgia/G-Q/L ... ndustrial/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.