Workman Road #2, Chattanooga, TN

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Workman Road #2, Chattanooga, TN

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:49 am

*originally recorded on 9-30-23*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights with GE Dotted LEDs.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs and a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell.

After chasing the train back to Chickamauga, I went on back to Chattanooga for one final crossing on the CCKY. Here we're able to see the Summerville Steam Special passing through the eighteenth crossing I recorded on this day, as they head back to the NS-owned trackage on the way back to Grand Junction.

This crossing's another decent one, though also a bit on the boring side again. It is, however, the northernmost crossing on the CCKY, both in terms of signalized and as a whole, as the CCKY's ownership/lease of the line ends just north of this crossing.
It appears that originally, there were a pair of old CofG gateless signals here with a relay-case mounted bell, but, in the 1970s, the Southern Railway replaced both masts here with newer ones, along with all of the lights, and the bell on the relay case was replaced with a Safetran mechanical bell. The crossing then remained unchanged for a good while longer, but, in the 1990s or 2000s, it appears, the CCKY replaced the lights on the far signal with a set of WCH 8 inch lights. Then, sometime between 2007 and 2011, the relay-case mounted Safetran bell was replaced with a fast-ringing WCH e-bell, as seen in a 2011 video from @owensri2 .
The crossing remained relatively unchanged for several more years, but, sometime around 2016/2017, the 8 inch lights here were replaced as the crossing was upgraded with LED WCH 12x24 inch lights. Then, sometime between 2019 and 2021, the left-hand lights of the closer signal were struck, it seems, and replaced with some 12x20 inch lights. These lights were a Modern Industries 12x20 (on the front) and a Safetran 12x20 (on the rear), both of which appeared to have been reused from somewhere (though I ain't entirely sure where), and with both featured GE Uniform Look LEDs in them. In 2021, it appears, the old CofG relay case here was also finally replaced with a slightly newer, though also reused, one from elsewhere on the CCKY, though I ain't sure where that relay case originally came from.
These didn't last super long, however, as by the time I got out here in March of 2022, the closer signal was replaced entirely with the current one, along with the relay case here being replaced with a newer TCR one. Not entirely sure why, but I suspect a car or truck mowed the previous ones down. The new TCR signal here seems to feature pretty standard modern equipment for the CCKY, with WCH 2nd Gen LEDs in WCH 12x24 inch lights and a GS Type 3, but also uses a 5 inch mast, which certainly looks a bit strange paired-up with the older 4 inch mast on the far side. The crossbuck on this signal was also installed backwards as well, which hasn't been corrected. It seems more recently, another vehicle has bumped into the closer signal again, based on the damage to the base and the lean it's now at, along with the fact that the crossbuck is now twisted to the right slightly. Will be interesting to see if the CCKY ever fixes the closer signal and what other changes and upgrades occur to this crossing in the future. However, I'm definitely glad I was able to film this crossing, as, with this video, I have now recorded every signalized crossing on the Chattanooga & Chickamauga Railway in action!

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Tennessee/A-F ... /Workman2/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.