55th Street, West Allis, WI

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

55th Street, West Allis, WI

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:45 pm

*originally recorded on 11-16-23*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with General Signals LEDs, a Griswold EM gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with General Signals LEDs, an NEG electronic bell, a Griswold EM gate mechanism, RECO LED gate lights, and an NEG LED gate light.
This crossing is located in a quiet zone. Trains do not blow their horns at this crossing.

After successfully catching the power move at two different locations, I heard from @Brenton81 there were some northbounds on the UP Milwaukee Sub that were getting close, so I went back over to this crossing in West Allis to get the first one. After a bit of waiting, I was able to get this northbound UP mixed freight with a pair of NS SD70ACes for power, the first time I'd catch NS as foreign power on this trip.

This crossing is another great one, though probably also the most boring of the EM installs around Milwaukee, though is does still feature another pair of Griswold EMs. In the 1980s, it appears, the C&NW upgraded the lights here to the current Safetran 12x24s. Then, in the 2000s, UP gave this crossing an LED upgrade, followed by replacing the Griswold(?) mechanical bell here with the current NEG e-bell sometime within the past couple of years, it appears.
Thankfully, as mentioned above, the classic EM signals still remain here and operational, which is rather nice to see. Sadly, according to @Brenton81 , the signals here are due for replacement at some point apparently, though, according to another local railfan, UP's had these marked for replacement for a good while now, so who knows when they will be. Either way, the LEDs here are General Signals LEDs, which you don't really see all that often, so I'm glad to get some more of them filmed. It was also nice being able to film four of the five pairs of EMs around Milwaukee in action, they are always nice to see.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.