Western Avenue (KY 84), Sonora, KY

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Western Avenue (KY 84), Sonora, KY

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:33 pm

*originally recorded on 12-6-23*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights, a WCH mechanical bell, an Invensys Rail gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights, a WCH mechanical bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After I caught I142 in Park City, I attempted to chase it north to this crossing, only to find a southbound lined through the siding here instead. After a little bit of waiting, this CSX M575 came through the crossing, heading south with an ET44AH leading an SD70MAC, a CM44AC, and another SD70MAC for power.

This crossing is another nice one, featuring what I believe is the only (remaining?) 1980s CSX install along the entire Mainline Sub. Sadly, sometime between 2008 and 2013 (I'm guessing about 2011), CSX replaced both of the original WCH gate mechs here, the only (remaining?) ones on the Mainline Sub, with the current Safetran and Invensys Rail gate mechs. Thankfully, since then, the crossing has remained largely unchanged, still retaining its original lights and bells. The WCH mechanical bell pair here still sounds rather nice, thankfully. Hopefully they remain here for many more years to come.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Kentucky/R-Z/Sonora/Western/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.