Quarry Road #2, Upton, KY

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Quarry Road #2, Upton, KY

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:50 pm

*originally recorded on 12-6-23*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights and a General Signals Type 1 electronic bell.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, 1 Federal Signal 12x20 inch light, and 1 Modern Industries 12x20 inch light.

After I caught M212 in Horse Cave, I chased the train north for my eleventh and final crossing of the day. Here we see CSX M212 and its pair of big GEs one final time, after this I returned back to EthantheRailfanner's house for the evening.
Admittedly, I kinda would've preferred a southbound here, but oh well.

This crossing is a rather nice one, featuring what was originally an old L&N gateless install at it. It appears that these were originally some TPC signals, but, in the 1950s or 60s, the L&N replaced all of the lights here with newer 8 inch lights. Then, in the 1970s, the side lights on the closer signal were replaced with the current 12x20s, though one of the 8 inch lights on this signal may have been replaced with another one as well. The crossing remained largely unchanged for a while, up until sometime between 2013 and 2018, when a few upgrades here happened. During this timespan, CSX replaced the far signal entirely with what appears to be a reused late-90s CSX install, while the closer signal had its remaining 8 inch lights replaced by the current Safetran 12x20 inch lights. Thankfully, the older 12x20s on the closer signal have remained despite this upgrade, which is very nice to see. Also quite nice to see is that the GS e-bell here is a GS Type 1, though I have no idea where CSX re-used this bell (and signal) from. All in all, this was a rather nice crossing to end this day off with.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Kentucky/R-Z/Upton/Quarry2/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.