Dixie Avenue (US 31W/KY 61) #1, Elizabethtown, KY

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Dixie Avenue (US 31W/KY 61) #1, Elizabethtown, KY

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:11 am

*originally recorded on 12-7-23*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs, 1 pair of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights, a WCH mechanical bell, and NEG LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs, 1 pair of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights, a WCH mechanical bell, and RECO LED gate lights.

After I shot I142 at the unplanned crossing in Horse Cave, I continued onto this crossing in downtown Elizabethtown, one of the few crossings located on the US 31E/W split, with US Route splits like this being a bit rare themselves to begin with. Here we see CSX I142 rolling past for a third time, in some pretty decent afternoon light.

This crossing is another nice one, featuring an early-90s CSX install that's still decently original. Sometime between 2011 and 2013, though most likely in 2011, the original Safetran gate mechanism on the far signal was replaced with the current Safetran one. Then, sometime between 2018 and 2019, the front lights on the far signal were all upgraded to LED. Finally, sometime between 2019 and 2023, most of the remaining incandescent lights, including the rear pair of overhead lights on the closer signal and all of the mast lights at this crossing. It seems CSX is upgrading each pair of lights here as the bulbs fail.
Thankfully, despite these upgrades, two pairs of the overhead lights here are still fully incandescent, with both pairs (the front overhead lights on the closer signal and the rear overhead lights on the far signal) facing the same direction, which is also the same side my camera was on. The original WCH mechanical bells are still here as well, and still sound fairly decent if a bit on the rougher side though. However, I don't really mind too much, I always enjoy filming mechanical bell pairs, especially WCH pairs. With this crossing as well, I have now filmed every remaining mechanical bell pair on the CSX Mainline Subdivision.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Kentucky/A-K/ ... wn/Dixie1/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.