Old Gallatin Road, near Portland, TN

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Old Gallatin Road, near Portland, TN

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:05 pm

*originally recorded on 12-8-23*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, NEG LED gate lights, and a RECO LED gate light.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a Safetran gate mechanism, an NEG LED gate light, a RECO LED gatelight, and a RECO gate light.

After M209 came through, I went-up to Mitchellville to wait for a train there. Unfortunately, the sun there began to move to the wrong side of the crossing when a southbound started to get close-ish over my scanner, so I decided to try to beat it up to Franklin. Unfortunately, just as I was getting into Franklin, I heard the southbound, I141, call the signal at South End Salmons siding, and quickly realized none of the crossings around there I could get to would have the lighting on the more interesting side, so I decided instead to race back down to this crossing for it. Thankfully, I was able to beat CSX I141 to this crossing with a good few minutes to spare, and here we get to see I141 flying through with an AC44CW leading an ES40DC for power.
After this, I went back up to Franklin to try for at least one more crossing there before I headed on home. Sadly, nothing would come through in the several hours I waited (with M575 working Bowling Green until after sunset it seems, and I142 never showing). Once the sun set after those several hours of waiting, I made my way back home to Huntsville, having finished my trip to the CSX Mainline Subdivision this month. I'd like to thank EthantheRailfanner's family for having hosted me for this trip, I do really appreciate it.

This crossing is another nice one, featuring an early-2000s CSX install that's basically still entirely original, complete with both signals retaining their original (and fairly faded) diagonally-striped gate arms! The closer signal even still retains a RECO incandescent gate light on the tip of it, which is great to see, and I also suspect is very much original to this crossing. The front-left light of the closer signal definitely needs its reflector repaired/cleaned, as that light is noticeably dimmer than the rest. It's been this way for a few years too, Ethan's video of this crossing from 2018 showed it in a similar condition. The rear lights on the far signal, at least, also have some rather nicely faded backgrounds on them as well. All in all though, this wasn't a bad crossing to end my trip off on, there definitely ain't too many crossings out there these days that still retain a pair of diagonally-striped gate arms like this. And, admittedly, I haven't exactly recorded too many almost-completely original early-2000s CSX installs yet.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Tennessee/G-Q ... _Gallatin/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.