LA 151, Calhoun, LA

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

LA 151, Calhoun, LA

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:23 am

*originally recorded on 1-31-24*

Signal on the left: 1.5 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs, 1 Safetran 12x24 inch light with a Leotek EV Series LED, a Safetran gate mechanism, and WCH LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 1 pair of Harmon 12x24 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs, a Safetran mechanical bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and Alstom LED gate lights.

After just managing to catch the eastbound intermodal train that snuck-up on us, we continued to wait here for the next train. After a bit more waiting, the westbound mixed freight we'd caught earlier in Rayville came flying through once again, with the same power as before.

This crossing is another great one, and is easily one of the best on the CPKC Vicksburg Sub. The signals here were originally installed by the ICG back in the late-70s, though, in the mid-90s (it appears), KCS replaced the lights on the signals here with some Harmon 12x24 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs. Then, in the early-2000s, most of the lights here were replaced again, this time with Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs. The crossing remained largely unchanged after that, until sometime between 2021 and 2023 (it appears), when the far signal had the LED its front-left light replaced with a Leotek EV Series LED. Thankfully, no other changes appear to have occurred here since then, and these classic ICG signals live on. Easily the star of the show here, other than the old ICG signals with their original gate mechs, is the Safetran mechanical bell, which I believe is also original to this crossing. It rings at a nice quick pace and sounds like it's still quite healthy, so hopefully it remains here for many more years to come. Another nice feature of this crossing is the pair of early Harmon Dotted LEDs in the two Harmon light heads on the closer signal. The rest are the newer Harmon Dotted LEDs. Hopefully this crossing remains unchanged for many more years to come, but, either way, I'm quite glad I got it recorded.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.