Speed Limits

Talk about other non-signal stuff here. Make sure to obey the rules though.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

AndrewFields

Speed Limits

Post by AndrewFields » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:15 am

What's the maximum in your state?

In Oregon it's only 65 as shown here on a rural Interstate speed limit sign in typical Oregon style; omitting the word 'LIMIT'. As you can see, the trucks are still restricted to 55 but as you can imagine, it's rarely obeyed and even less frequently enforced. 75 to 80 is pretty standard fare on I-5 and I-84 through the sparsely populated sections of the state.

You think your car gets bad mileage? SP 4449 consumes 10 gallons of bunker oil and 100 gallons of water every mile.
gedunk

Re: Speed Limits

Post by gedunk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:42 am

California still runs a split speed limit of 70 for cars, 55 for big rigs and any vehicle towing a trailer. The state loses a lot of Federal Highway Funding because of this split speed limit. The feds raised the "minimum maximum" to 65 on the interstate system several years ago; although states can do whatever they please speed-wise, the feds will cut off funding for those that do not have a minimum limit of 65.

Most traffic out on I 5 runs 80+ anyway.
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:35 pm

75 is the highest in Arizona Interstates, with 65 being the highest for US and state routes.

The bad thing is that Arizona does put its speed limits way too low. School zones in Arizona are 15 MPH, and if there is a photo radar van in the school zone, you get ticketed if you go 21 or more.

Many residential areas are 20 to 25. Even Prescott Valley's main streets are 25, and they are 4-lanes for the most part. 6 lanes are 35.

As for my driving, I usually go 30 in the 25 zones, just in case a photo radar van happens to be nearby hiding. They are good at doing that here.

As for driving on the right, I don't do that so much in our residential roads, but on US/State Highways, and Interstates I do follow that rule.

Quite often when I go on my train trips up to Williams and Flagstaff on Intersate 40, I especially stay in the right lane. I go 75, like the sign says, but you'll do lots of weaving between lanes. Semi trucks go extremely slow, in cases, 15-20 MPH, making me move into traffic that goes 90-100 MPH quite often. I get passed quite often on that freeway. I don't know if it's pure luck, or what, but in the 13 years I've been driving, I have never gotten a ticket or warning.

I do agree with Elton that the speed limits are too slow. Residential streets can either stay at 25, or be raised to 30 or 35, like California has. The main streets need to go up though. 25 for 4 lanes, and 35 for 6 lanes is way too slow.
bnsfc44

Post by bnsfc44 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:32 pm

gedunk wrote:California still runs a split speed limit of 70 for cars, 55 for big rigs and any vehicle towing a trailer. The state loses a lot of Federal Highway Funding because of this split speed limit. The feds raised the "minimum maximum" to 65 on the interstate system several years ago; although states can do whatever they please speed-wise, the feds will cut off funding for those that do not have a minimum limit of 65.

Most traffic out on I 5 runs 80+ anyway.
Same goes around here in Central Calif. But there are some areas of Hwy 99 that have 65 posted. Localy in Hanford, school zones and residental streets are 25. All of our major roads have a minimum of 35 with some 40 and 45 speeds posted. But one road starts out at 50 then a 1/4 mile later its 35. No point to speed up just to slow down.
mlgillson

Post by mlgillson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:27 pm

Speed limit? What's that?

Apparently nobody around here seems to know what the speed limit is (or just don't care). They're either going too fast or too slow. Those that do go the speed limit will sometimes get a few "friendly" gestures or words. The maximum speed limit on rural Interstates in Iowa is 70. The maximum speed limit on all other freeways and expressways is 65. The maximum speed on two-lane roads is 55. Speed limits within cities and towns tends to vary.
owensri
Site Admin

Post by owensri » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:33 pm

All Interstate Highways in Michigan (I-94, I-75 etc..) are 70. State roads and 2 lane roads in rurual aras are 55. Alot of roads in the city are way too slow...including some roads that are in the open...but not rurual are 45...which is way too slow in my opinion.
AndrewFields

Post by AndrewFields » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Oregon has pretty standardized rules although every now and again you find a town that intentionally drops it lower to ticket people and make money. Lake Oswego is a perfect example of this. Highway 43 coming into town has a speed limit of 45. Once you get into town it drops to 25. My sister's friend got a ticket in LO going 27 in the 25 a few hundred feet from the 45 sign. In a rich, spoiled town with such little crime, the cops have nothing to do. Never roll though a stop sign in LO. :LOL3:

But for the most part:

School Zones: 20 mph
Business Districts: 20 - 30 mph (depends on the style of road)
Residential: 25
Urban Through Street: 35
Urban Collector: 45
Urban Freeway: 50-55
Rural Highway/2-lane road: 55
Rural Freeway: 65

I suppose it bears mentioning that every time they try to pass a bill (to raise the speed limits to 70) through the state senate it fails on the grounds that it would be dangerous to have trucks going 60. Seriously? :Confused: They are already going 65! Oregon is the only state west of the Mississippi River that has a maximum speed limit of 65.
You think your car gets bad mileage? SP 4449 consumes 10 gallons of bunker oil and 100 gallons of water every mile.
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Here's an example of the 15 MPH speed limit in school zones.

I don't remember seeing "FINES DOUBLE" before though. That must be new.

I can understand 15 MPH during arrival and dismissal, however the signs are there throughout the whole school day, even when students are inside. There should be a time limit say from 7-9 AM, and then from 2:30 to 3:30 PM, it should be 15 MPH, otherwise it should be 25.
AndrewFields

Post by AndrewFields » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 pm

Oregon uses three kinds of school speed limit signs, always fixed on a roadside pole.

1) 'WHEN FLASHING' this is incorporated with one or two (usually two) flashing yellow lights.
2) SCHOOL DAYS 7 AM - 5 PM
3) WHEN CHILDREN ARE PRESENT
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Midland, MI did that, and even when the lights were flashing, the speed limit was 25, otherwise the limit was 35.