Severe weather

Discuss current and upcoming weather events here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

cabman701

Severe weather

Post by cabman701 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:37 pm

We had some pretty rough weather this morning... very heavy rain and lots of lightening and thunder. We had a small break but it is starting up again, and this round looks to be worse. Here is the weather discussion posted on our local NWS site:
The conference call at 10:00 hrs went as follows;

The first round of 3 waves of weather has just passed us. The 2nd wave is expected to move through early this afternoon around 14:00 hrs. and will be more severe than this morning’s round. There is a good possibility that there will be a Severe Thunderstorm Watch will be issued prior to these storms. The greatest threat being from heavy rains, hail and high winds.

The greatest danger is this evening between the hours of 18:00 and 21:00 hrs. This event is when the cold front will move through with some bow echo storm lines which create winds around 70mph+ and tornadoes that will form along them as well as isolated Super Cells with strong tornadoes.

The NWS\Lincoln states that Central Illinois will be the focus of the most severe weather and that their confidence is high that the area will suffer severe damage with some of these storms.

Please take the appropriate caution with these storms.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't end up with any damage, but it's not looking too good right now! :Cry1:
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Re: Severe weather

Post by Smjh1979 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Severe weather like that is typical for Illinois isn't it?
illinoistrains

Post by illinoistrains » Wed May 13, 2009 4:50 pm

i hope all that bad weather is gone before i go there for the summer.
Visit my website to see my complete collection of over 2,200 train pictures:
http://cnfan1.rrpicturearchives.net/
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Smjh1979 wrote:Severe weather like that is typical for Illinois isn't it?
Yes... we are in part of the "tornado alley" as they call it. Typically the storms are the worst in the spring... usually mid April thorugh the end of June.

But, they can happen just about anytime. Refer to my previous post under the "3 year anniversary" thread.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Well, as usual, they scared everybody to death for no reason really. We did end up having some heavy storms, but they didn't start coming through until about 10:30 p.m., and while they did pack a punch, there was no real damage in my area.

There was some damage to the east of Springfield, around Decatur, Champaign, and further southeast around Mattoon, IL. No reports of injuries or anything of that nature.

We do have more storms forcasted for tomorrow (Friday), but they are not expected to be severe at this time.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Had a big outbreak today - lots of damage too. And they're saying we can do it all over again tomorrow...