WCH Type 4 E-Bell

Talk about crossing signal companies here. International companies are okay too.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

shota's railfan

WCH Type 4 E-Bell

Post by shota's railfan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:25 pm

I have heard some crossings are having WCH Tyoe 4's. How rare are WCH Type 4s? Which railroads use WCH Type 4s?
ZachL

Re: WCH Type 4 E-Bell

Post by ZachL » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm

These are a thing?!
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Apparently so. IIRC, the pitch is somewhere between that of a Type 1.5 and Type 2 or between a Type 2 and Type 3. AFAIK, any railroad that currently installs WCH e-bells (so UP, MBTA, various shortlines like the ones owned by the G&W, etc.) will use them.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
shota's railfan

Post by shota's railfan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:00 am

Caltrain started using WCH Type 4s as new installs, as well as Metrolink, BNSF, and UP, ?NCTD (i think so)
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:37 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:Apparently so. IIRC, the pitch is somewhere between that of a Type 1.5 and Type 2 or between a Type 2 and Type 3. AFAIK, any railroad that currently installs WCH e-bells (so UP, MBTA, various shortlines like the ones owned by the G&W, etc.) will use them.
Wasn't UP using NEGs earlier in the decade? When did they go back to WCH?
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:07 pm

ZachL wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:Apparently so. IIRC, the pitch is somewhere between that of a Type 1.5 and Type 2 or between a Type 2 and Type 3. AFAIK, any railroad that currently installs WCH e-bells (so UP, MBTA, various shortlines like the ones owned by the G&W, etc.) will use them.
Seems to be a mix, honestly. NEG e-bells seem to go up on new mast signals while WCH is typically used for bell replacements and new cantilever signals. They also appear to use GS Type 3s for bell replacements as well.

It may also vary by region, as some things do with railroads (like NS using US&S Model 95s almost exclusively in the Carolinas, and using GE e-bells up in PA).

ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
ZachL wrote:
Seems to be a mix, honestly. NEG e-bells seem to go up on new mast signals while WCH is typically used for bell replacements and new cantilever signals. They also appear to use GS Type 3s for bell replacements as well.

It may also vary by region, as some things do with railroads (like NS using US&S Model 95s almost exclusively in the Carolinas, and using GE e-bells up in PA).
Interesting that ASTS is continuing use of the US&S name on equipment.

I guess it's no different than Siemens still using the Safetran logo on its light heads, though kinda odd considering gate mechs are not the same way.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 pm

ZachL wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:
ZachL wrote:

Interesting that ASTS is continuing use of the US&S name on equipment.

I guess it's no different than Siemens still using the Safetran logo on its light heads, though kinda odd considering gate mechs are not the same way.
Well, it is cheaper not to change the molds.

shota's railfan

Post by shota's railfan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:15 pm

For UP in the bay area they use GS Type 3s for replacements. For new signals the cantilevers they would use WCH E-Bells, but for non cantilever signals mast they would use NEGs
NSsignal

Post by NSsignal » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:47 am

There’s three in Dekalb il but they are in bell combos so it’s quite hard to hear them by them selves. Route 38s west cantilever on the Geneva sub has one and a gate on 6th st has one and the cantilever gate on the Fairview crossing on the Troy grove branch has one.
Last edited by NSsignal on Fri May 26, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Roblox group called Railroad Town Replicators. We have games based in real world towns and we primary make signals. And no I’m not asking for R$ or likes. The one who is too interested in railroad crossing signals but you can’t be too intrested.