Bell Sequence Change in Railroad Crossings

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

jff1999

Bell Sequence Change in Railroad Crossings

Post by jff1999 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:13 pm

Any railroad crossings you have been to have the bell sequence changed. For example, I have been to a crossing in Pensacola, Florida that has the bell sequence changed from bells ring till gates lower to bells ring till gates rise. I am surprised about what CSX did.
February 2019:

November 2019:
Last edited by freebrickproductions on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing embeds, please use the YouTubeShort code for shortened YouTube URLs in the future, please.
pluey200

Re: Bell Sequence Change in Railroad Crossings

Post by pluey200 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:24 am

Speaking of this, what would a signal maintainer have to do to change the bell sequence on a signal?
railrdc rossng
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:33 pm

I remember this crossing the bell rang only until the gates lowered the first time I shot a train there, shortly thereafter it was changed to have the bell ring all the way from activation to shutdown.
jff1999

Post by jff1999 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:20 pm

AndyWS wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:33 pm
I remember this crossing the bell rang only until the gates lowered the first time I shot a train there, shortly thereafter it was changed to have the bell ring all the way from activation to shutdown.
Wow!!! That was interesting!
Nascar Fan007

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:41 am

I remember when the crossings on the Sedalia Sub in Independence had their bells rang from startup until the gates lower, and back again as the gates raise as that is what the MoPac had for their bell sequence. It wasn't around the 2010s when UP began to retrofit all of their lights to electro-techs, along with replacing all of the gate lights to leds from incandescent. UP also changed the bell sequences for all of the crossings in my area, but some had their bell sequences changed again to the MoPac one due to residential areas. Though, most of the crossings now have the current UP sequence except for Vermont Ave, Scott Ave #1, and Cottage St #2 (though I've seen older vids of that crossing when the bells rang the entire time. Don't know why UP changed that bell sequence for).
Last edited by Nascar Fan007 on Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:26 am

Apparently Redmill Saragossa Road in Saragossa, AL, has had the bell sequence changed to have the bells ring as the gates rise, from having them shut off when the gates had lowered.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.