Janesville, WI Court St. crossing signals replaced

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

AndyWS

Janesville, WI Court St. crossing signals replaced

Post by AndyWS » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:36 pm

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/A-K ... lle/Court/

I shot a train near there in January 2021 and it looked the same as always. It wasn't until a year later that I did so again, and I thought something looked different about it but I didn't look closely enough at the crossing itself to put my finger on it.

It wasn't until I saw this video taken by another area railfan that it clicked:

The cantilever is a completely different one which appears to only have one pair of front (west) facing lights as opposed to two as before, and the ASC e-bell/Safetran hybrid bell are gone (although, the Safetran hybrid bell was at some earlier point already replaced by a WCH e-bell). I think the new bells are the newer GS type, although I'm not really familiar with them. They're also mounted on extensions midway up the signal masts, something which I've previously only observed on a select few UP crossings in this state.
AndyWS

Re: Janesville, WI Court St. crossing signals replaced

Post by AndyWS » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:12 pm

At 4:42 in this video is my last documentation of this crossing with its previous signals, with the WCH+ASC e-bell combo.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:38 am

Looks like the signals were replaced entirely with a modern UP install. The bells are all NEG e-bells it appears now.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:44 pm

I was there last Sunday to see the Soo Line 1003 and it seems I was incorrect, the cantilever is still the same one as before with the two pairs of front facing 12" x 20" lights, it just looked different from the angle in the other video. The signals on the other side do appear to have been replaced, though, as well as the median signal on the cantilever side (with an NEG E-bell on it, too). No more WCH clear L.E.D.s. :Sad: There are also rear-facing lights on the gate mast behind the cantilever, which weren't there before.

The two pairs can be seen very briefly as it dissolves to the Court St. scene at 6:28.

Last edited by AndyWS on Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:09 pm

It's hard to hear over the whistle, 1003's rather loud engine bell and steam hissing, but at 2:45 you can tell the WRRS mini bell at Jackson St. is still there, which was nice to see. The Griswold lights were replaced with 12" L.E.D. ones quite a few years ago, but many of these gateless Milwaukee Road-era installations on the WSOR system have been replaced with totally new ones with gates and e-bells starting around 2017 or so.